
Americans should be endeavoring to look further south/east, rather than the typical location - inside our pocket books or bank statements for happiness these days. With the current economic climate bringing down more than just our spirits, we must find new ways to make our life happier and fulfilling.
I had the best conversation today with these women who were from Trinidad, which is along the Caribbean Sea. This young woman was talking to her friends about how much happier people are in that country than in America. I could not help but intrude and began to question her to the reasons behind this precious gift they acquire. After all, I believe the ideology of the "American Dream" is in question and becoming somewhat obsolete as we speak! No I'm not talking about going on a vacation to some exotic island in the Caribbean, or moving to a foreign country! We just may need to adopt or improve a newer motto or at least take some lessons from these folks.
Americans Are Judgmental
This reason really threw me for a loop (I just had this conversation with Nancy my BFF). I then began to question her on why she thinks American’s are like this. Her answer was extremely simple, “Because they have never had to endure poverty level hard times like the people from third world countries do.” Trinidad is poor but nowhere near the “Third world country” status other fellow countries are. They have all the amenities American’s have but the work is limited which is what Americans are starting to experience. They have a sense of unity because they have had to work “Together” to make it through hard times. Pulling together as a community instead of looking down on someone for what they have lost or don’t have is an important part of being a happier person! I laughed because on a previous post, I had talked about volunteering for something to help our fellow Americans. Creating a unity in America and helping people instead of judging them for their faults and reasons why they are in whatever unfavorable position they may be in!
Maturity
Another reason was lots of Americans are very immature! I then told her, “This is why I love old people, because as we age we do become less judgmental, more compassionate and caring.” That’s why you see so many older folks that do volunteer work. But if we could tap into this maturity level earlier in life, maybe we can knock some years off of our life and look more youthful, happier and healthier!
This reason didn’t surprise me! I think there are lots of immature individuals in America…and it’s because they’ve never had to struggle in life or go through hard times! And if they did struggle and go through hard times and still look down on others than they must have some sort of spirtual-disconnetion from God!!
Resolution
So my question to her was, “Do you still associate with these types of people whom are disconnected from life or God, even if they are disconnected or have these big differences and issues?” Her resolved candid answer was, “ABSOLUTELY!” That is the key! It doesn’t matter the differences rather its; social, race or religion, we should all try lending our hearts and help be a good friend to all Americans!
If your judging....you're "Immaturely Worrying" about why that person isn't acting or doing things the way you think they should which is presumptions and premature on your part! I know I'm guilty of this! Because in life what goes up ultimately comes down in some respects...full circle!
Celebrate LIFE...Don't worry be HAPPY!
I'm going to have a new bumper sticker made that reads, "Achieving the American Dream.... TOGETHER. Lending an Unbiased Helping Hand!"


2 comments:
Word! To all of it!
I love this topic!
Love you more, though!
As always, thanks Nancy! I love you more!
Post a Comment